Status of Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Total energy consumption and CO2 emissions are shown below.
We are making steady progress toward our CO2 emission reduction targets (short-, mid- and long-term) with a 27% reduction in FY2020.
- Note:Figures marked with “ ” have been assured by an independent assurance provider.
- *1From this year, we expanded the boundary to : “buildings in which the Company's ownership ratio of the total floor area is 50% or more (excluding properties for residential use and real estate for sale).” This includes properties for which we do not have control of energy management. The values for 2019 and years preceding were recalculated as reference values based on the new boundary. The target data is energy-related CO2 emissions. The unit calorific values and the CO2 emission factors are based on values in the Act on the Rational Use of Energy and the Act on Promotion of Global Warming Countermeasures. CO2 emissions intensity and energy consumption intensity are calculated by dividing by the sum of the total floor area of the properties in the boundary. CO2 emissions and energy consumption of sectional and shared ownership properties are accounted according to Hulic’s share of ownership of the total floor area.
The Hulic Group promotes environmentally friendly processes across the entire value chain which covers from acquisition, development, reconstruction, and leasing to management and maintenance of properties.
In addition, the Hulic Group calculates not only its own emissions (Scope 1 and Scope 2), but also indirect emissions related to its business activities (Scope 3) to broadly understand and lower greenhouse gas emissions across the entire value chain.
Hulic has committed SBTi* in June 2021 and is engaged in effort to conform with the standardized CO2 emissions calculations.
|Category||Main target for calculation||2016||2017||2018||2019|
|Purchased goods and services||Consumables, office goods (Hulic Co., Ltd.), water and sewerage (59 key buildings)||351.0||385.1||371.9||388.3|
|Fuel- and energy-related activities (not included in scope 1 or scope 2)||Electricity use (59 key buildings)||2,348.0||2,830.6||2,860.3||3,235.3|
|Upstream transportation and distribution||Shipping parcels and letters (Hulic Co., Ltd.)||30.8||32.3||31.4||36.7|
|Waste generated from operations||7 buildings occupied by the head offices of Hulic and its Group companies||42.7||46.9||67.9||34.0|
|Business travel||Travel by train, bus or airplane, etc. (Hulic Co., Ltd.)||58.4||71.3||98.7||90.5|
|Employee commuting||Employee commuting by train or bus, etc. (Hulic Co., Ltd.)||40.8||45.3||44.6||42.0|
|Scope 3 total emissions||2,871.7||3,431.5||3,474.8||3,826.8|
- Note:We have calculated greenhouse gas emissions, including those from the entire value chain, based on the Basic Guidelines on Accounting for Greenhouse Gas Emissions Throughout the Supply Chain Ver. 2.3 published by the Ministry of the Environment.
- *Science-based targets are greenhouse gas emission reduction targets set by companies focusing 5 -15 years ahead, which meets standards required by the Paris Agreement.
Hulic is working to reduce environmental impacts throughout all of our operations, and we ask our business partners, including suppliers, to cooperate with the following green procurement policy:
1. To engage in energy-saving activities and reduce GHG emissions;
2. To reduce the amount of water consumption as much as possible;
3. To carry out a biodiversity-friendly business;
4. To fully prevent environmental pollution; and
5. To make efforts to save resources and reduce the amount of waste.
- Our Approach to Sustainability
- Environmental Initiatives
- Basic Policy for Environment
- Initiatives for Climate Change
- Building a Recycling-oriented Society
- Initiatives for Biodiversity
- Information Disclosure based on TCFD Recommendations
- Social Initiatives
- Initiatives for Customers
- Collaboration with Business Partners
- Initiatives for Employees
- Initiatives for Local Communities
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Governance
- External Directors and External Auditors
- Auditing Mechanism
- Internal Control System
- Risk Management
- Initiatives for Shareholders and Investors
- External Evaluation
- Index by Topic / Index by GRI Standards
- Sustainability Book /
- Survey for our Sustainability Website